Being multidisciplinary means you get to choose which discipline you love most. Being interdisciplinary means you get to be better at it too.
I’m lucky. I get to choose to write.
My adjacent disciplines and qualifications span visual and service design, film, yoga, liberal arts, editorial management, digital production and content strategy (the kind that deals with UX and IA).
I have lived / worked in Montreal, Bandung, Jakarta, Bangkok, Jogjakarta, Bali, Hanoi, Melbourne and Singapore. And so, I speak fluent English, Indonesian and French (although, people in France will – and have laughed at my French Québécois accent).
Being multidisciplinary / multicultural has wired my brain to unpack contexts, analyse patterns, and translate ideas – all pretty useful functions for a copywriter who turns insight into strategy; and never without a damn good story.
Learnings, or stuff I wish I’d known ten years ago:
- I escaped “the office” and became a freelancer because I wanted to be “free”. I didn’t know then that freedom meant working ungodly hours, spending 60% of my day writing emails, being an accountant-slash-project manager-slash-studio manager-slash-business development manager-slash-web designer-slash-debt collector in one, juggling various unruly clients, spending my week in meetings, and then still finding time to actually work. I know better now. I wouldn’t trade it all for a damn thing.
- I only started working – like, really, truly working – when I became a mom.
- If there’s only one thing you master in life, make it a liberal arts education.
- Routine makes me healthy.
- But spontaneity makes me feel alive.
- We should all be feminists. Better yet, we should all be Gay feminists living in beguinages.
- I am a rebel. It’s official; Gretchen Rubin told me so.
- Apologising is one of the hardest things to do. I’m still learning how to do it right, but Amy Poehler’s two comparative apology letters have inspired my intent to be able to say sorry in an honest, human way.
- Shitty life situations are just bad UX. They can be redesigned.
- I learn something new everyday. (Watch this space.)
Got learnings? Send me an email. Don’t be shy. I seriously love this stuff.